Kawe kohvik

Republic of Estonia and Five Fates

Estonia’s most beautiful woman Lilly Silberg (1906-1969)
Made an international career in the world of fashion

Miss Estonia 1931 Lilly Silberg. Author: Parikas. Estonian National Museum, ERM Fk 3047:521
Miss Estonia 1931 Lilly Silberg. Author: Parikas. Estonian National Museum, ERM Fk 3047:521

Lilly Silberg was crowned the first Miss Estonia in 1931, while working at the Kawe chocolate factory.

In her homeland, Lilly Silberg enjoyed great success, being very popular and adept at self-presentation. She arranged to be photographed with the Prime Minister, had a sculpture made of herself, and participated in both paid and unpaid events in cinemas and balls.

Lilly Silberg also competed in the Miss Europe pageant, finishing second beside France.

Riding on the wave of international success, Lilly Silberg moved to Paris in 1932, where she worked at the Maggy Rouff fashion house and pursued a career in modeling.

After marriage, she gave up her career and later in life cared for her husband, who was disabled in the war.

Lilly Silberg never returned to Estonia and died in 1969 in Marseille, France, without witnessing Estonia’s independence.

Kawe Café

The seven-story EEKS building was completed on the order of the Owners’ Bank. It is one of the most representative functionalist buildings in Tallinn. The building housed bank, café, business, and residential premises. The name of the building was given by the First Estonian Insurance Company (EEKS), which dealt with insurance.

Kawe was a chocolate and confectionery factory that started its activities in Tallinn in 1921. The Kawe confectionery industry was initially located in Tallinn’s Old Town.

Tallinn Kawe's flagship store (Harju St) interior views from the 1930s. Interior design: Jaan Siirak. Estonian History Museum, AM N 44538:1
Tallinn Kawe’s flagship store (Harju St) interior views from the 1930s. Interior design: Jaan Siirak. Estonian History Museum, AM N 44538:1

The name “Kawe” came from the initials of the company’s owners, brothers Karl and Kolla Wellner (from Estonian Vellner), which sounded like “KAA-WEE” when spoken out loud. After the Soviet era, the factory was nationalized, and the Kawe chocolate factory is the predecessor of today’s Kalev confectionery factory. Kawe café was located in the basement of the EEKS building from 1936 onwards, and in the virtual time travel, you can stand in front of the café.

Kawe monpansjee box. Estonian National Museum, ERM A 917:9
Kawe monpansjee box. Estonian National Museum, ERM A 917:9

 

Question

What sweet product was monpansjee in the Kawe café back in the day?

 

Hint

Look for the next QR code around the surroundings of the Freedom Square.

Location of the next QR code

 

 

fiFinnish